Photo by Millie Holloman
1. My husband, Ari, and I eloped to Vegas after just having met five months before. It was so not like either of us, but it was perfect. We’ll be celebrating our six year wedding anniversary on March 18th!
2. My grandmother, a true Southern belle from Alabama, is one of my favorite people on earth. She’s a redhead, too, and feisty at that! Grandma “Bunny” will be 94 this December. I just talked to her and she told me to tell all of y’all hello and it’s wonderful to meet you here on this blog. She doesn’t know what a blog is, but I told her it’s a place on the internet where all of my favorite friends read about pretty weddings and wonderful love stories.
3. I used to be a personal trainer. And at one point, I could deadlift 225lbs. Useless skill, but fun to intimidate my male clients in the gym.
4. There is an elbow in my rib. No, really. And a foot in my belly. I’m due with my first baby – Grace Austin – in about 11 weeks!
Photo by Nancy Ray
5. I’ve been eating the same breakfast almost every day (with the exception of about a dozen days) for the last 15 years. Jay Robb protein powder and oatmeal. It never gets old to me! And I probably eat more Luna Bars than is legal. I should be their spokeswoman.
6. I am really bad at trivia. Or anything to do with pop culture. We cancelled our cable a while ago and I generally rely on my husband to tell me about current events. Don’t ask me to name a band or pop star. I’d lose.
Photos by Nancy Ray
7. I got a D in tap class once. OK, technically it was because I injured my knee running and had to sit out most of the class, but I was pretty terrible at it. I went to school for music and theatre and design.
8. I started the magazine on Microsoft Publisher. Eventually, I taught myself InDesign by literally pushing all the buttons to see what they did. Ever since I was a kid, I never read instruction manuals to put things together. I get much more pleasure out of figuring it out myself. One exception that I’ve learned the hard way on: Ikea furniture. Do not attempt without the manual. Ever.
9. I still don’t know who goes first at a four way stop. I usually just wait for someone to go first or give me a funny look and pause awkwardly, telling me to go.
10. I genuinely love my job and couldn’t dream up a better group of women to work with every day. I pinch myself every day! Oh my stars, these ladies are the real deal – kind, genuine, hard-working and fiercely devoted to you, dear readers!
Read more about Lara here, here and here!
P.S. Still time to get your gorgeous ad in our next print edition! Email Whitney ASAP for last-minute availability!