I have fond memories of going through the Krispy Kreme drive-through for a special treat as a little girl. Of course, it was even more special if the “hot donuts” sign was on! I even went on a field trip to my local store once to see how those divine donuts were made (yes, that’s what we do in the South!).
As I grew up, I frequented the store less. That is, until I began working for a large corporate company a few years back – then, it became a tradition for a few of the girls and I to celebrate successes on our lunch hour with a little Krispy Kreme indulgence! What can I say? They’re addicting!
Then I lived in Winston Salem last summer, and had to pass Krispy Kreme’s headquarters on a daily basis. Talk about an exercise in self-restraint! Let’s just say when it comes to this Southern Delicacy, I’ve eaten my fair share.
The Scultzes via Southern Weddings
A few fun facts:
– Krispy Kreme was founded by Vernon Rudolph in 1937 in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.
– Rudolph bought the secret recipe for yeast-raised doughnuts from a New Orleans French chef.
– While Krispy Kreme sells an assortment of flavors, their signature glazed doughnut (traditionally served warm!) continues to be a best seller and customer favorite.
– Krispy Kreme is a part of not only Southern culture, but American history! Some company artifacts have been donated to the Smithsonian Institute’s Museum of American History.
– People like to get creative with their Krispy Kremes! The Krispy Kreme Challenge began as a dare between a few NC State students in 2004. Eight years later, runners still try to complete the entire five mile course AND eat a box of 12 Krispy Kreme donuts in under one hour. Whoa!
Bella Grace Studios via Southern Weddings, Whitebox Weddings via Southern Weddings
We love the idea of serving these sugary delights in lieu of a groom’s cake, as a late night snack, or as a favor for guests to take on the road. Yum!
Before you go, I wanted to share one more delicious-looking treat. While prepping this post, the awesome Ms Ayer came across a recipe for Krispy Krème Brûlée! What?!
Even if you want to get fancy with your Krispy Kremes, we’ve got you covered. Did you or will you be serving a late night snack at your wedding? If so, will it be these delightful treats? And, if you’ve participated in NCSU’s Krispy Kreme Challenge, you must comment and tell us how it went!